Thursday, January 13, 2011

Legends of the Diamond

Moving on with Nintendo, I move onto Legends of the Diamond.  Developed by TOSE and published by Bandai, Legends of the Diamond was released in 1992.  It is a baseball simulator where you get to play with different baseball legends, from Babe Ruth to Lou Gehrig and Hank Aaron. 

The game is entertainingly simple, there are only two actual modes.  The first is an exhibition mode, the second a championship mode.  When playing one of the modes, instead of being handed a pre-made team, you get to choose the different legends on your team and assign them positions.  Each player's career stats determine how well they play, but the game also generates how well they play each day (whether they feel like they'll play well or not). 

So continuing to the game, I played an exhibition (which defaults to nine innings, but I'll only be playing three).  So I grab my team and am quite happy with it.  My infield consists of Willie McCovey, Joe Morgan, Johnny Mize on the bases and Luke Appling at short stop.  With an outfield of Roberto Clemente, Ty Cobb and Hank Aaron, Mickey Cochrane is catcher with Cy Young as starting pitcher.  So after choosing a random team logo (Titans) and deciding on the field with heavy wind, it's time to play ball!

I start off batting with Ty Cobb and Joe Morgan, without much of a pause, I get struck out twice (I don't remember being this bad at batting).  My third batter (Luke Appling) steps up to the plate and takes two quick strikes, then my team finally shows life and he hits a home run on the third pitch (the score becomes 1-0).  Hank Aaron comes up next, raises the bat, and gets struck out as well.  Guess I'll try my hand at pitching. 

I'm not all too much better at pitching, but my fielders are good.  A grounder towards right gets stopped by Joe Morgan who throws the batter out at first.  Luke Appling catches a short fly to get the second out.  I really shouldn't be complaining, but I really want to strike someone out.  But perhaps the complaining is the problem, the next batter hits it deep to center for a double.  The next guy gives the game some tension: strike one... ball one... and a hit.... straight back at the pitcher for an easy throw to first for the third out. 

Now I'm hoping to get a bit better at batting so I start swinging.  First pitch is fouled hard to the left, but second is a twinge better with another home run.  I get Roberto Clemente on the plate and am able to hit a long one, right into the hands of then center fielder.  The next two batters are out in short order as well, but at least I'm up 2-0.  But not for long.  First pitch I throw is a home run to make the score 2-1.  There next four batters struggle but eventually get a runner in before I finally get the third out. 

So I'm tied 2-2, doing the last inning I was intending to play... I may have to continue.  It looks more that way as I start pitching, get three easy outs and not even getting on base.  Cy Young starts pitching for me and I'm hoping for some magic.  I finally get some with a nice strike out, my first of the game.  As a reward, Cy Young gets to rest his arm and I bring in Dizzy Dean to finish up the round.  He throws a hit which lands in the hands of the second baseman.  Third batter is up, just one more before the inning is over... and he hits a home run. 

Well, I never said I was very good at this game, but it is fun, especially recognizing so many players.  And I'm done with another game and the next weekend starts again tomorrow.  Time seems to be flying.  Adios for today though.

No comments:

Post a Comment