Friday, February 4, 2011

NFL Street

I'm continuing with my football weekend today with the spiritual sequel to NFL Blitz: NFL Street.  Developed and published by Electronic Arts, NFL Street was released in January2004.  NFL Street is one of EA's Street series with varied rules and smaller rosters (as well as in basic clothes). 

Unlike regular football, NFL Street is only seven on seven with all players playing both offense and defense.  The game puts an emphasis on taunting your opponent to build your "style" meter until you can use a Gamebreaker.  The gamebreaker literally breaks the game, your offense or defense becomes unstoppable for the rest of the drive and it becomes easier to score or force a turn over. 

So there are a few modes of play and the closest to a story is the NFL Challenge where you create your own team and go through many challenges to make them better and play against NFL teams.  But I've already done that and I'm just going to play a Pick Up Game.  In a pickup game you get to draft your team from a list of random players from all teams (you can choose to include Legends and your created players as well). 

So I choose to pick first and let the computer get the ball first so I can grab good players in each position.  The seven positions on offense are quarterback, runningback, two receivers, and three linemen; while for defense they are two corners, a saftey, a linebacker, and three linemen.  Because you only get seven people, some of them have to overlap.  The simplest overlaps are overlapping your wide receivers with the corners.   So I start looking through the players, choosing the Legend Cornerback Lester Hayes.  The teams build pretty well, I end up with a stronger defense (the cornerbacks can defend and also catch while the receivers aren't good at defense) with players such as Ty Law, Cletidus Hunt, Fred Taylor, Takeo Spikes and Tim Couch as quarterback. 

So I start the game on defense and am doing my best just to hold them back.  You get style points for doing different things, but it's a bit more difficult to do it on defense (you can get some for stopping them behind the line and also to force turnovers).  Also, it isn't just a matter of getting ten yards, but there are set intervals on the field (30 yards apart).  I successful hold them back for a bit, but they eventually score a touchdown.  I'm a bit stronger at offense then defense though, and score easily.  We trade scores until I break through with Takeo Spikes and force a fumble to go up.

So I've played another game and onto the weekend.  Adios for today though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment